Wednesday, March 29, 2023

More Jack Eigen, A Lot of Early 1960's BBC, and a Couple of Guitarists

Hello, everyone, 

In the past two months, I have had three - THREE - people ask me if I would share some more of my voluminous collection of recordings of the Chicago late night radio talk personality Jack Eigen. It would appear that this broadcaster either deeply appeals to people or rubs them the wrong way. And when I first found these tapes, in the 1990's, I learned (from my mother) that it was always thus. She said she found him extremely annoying, as did most people, yet they listened - I believe she told me "that was kind of the point". That explanation makes no sense to me, but maybe it does to you, or maybe you just love these recordings. 

I am here to honor those requests, and will continue to do so in the future. 

I have not scanned this volume recently for any clues as to when it might be from, or for any glitches. I listened to these tapes more than 20 years ago, and made the sound files at that time. If anyone wants to pinpoint the date, that'd be great. 

Without further ado, volume three of Jack Eigen. 

Download: Jack Eigen, Volume 3

Play:

~~

Next up, an hour long tape which is sort of peculiar. It starts off and ends up normally enough - just a couple of guys playing guitars - some instrumental duets, some songs with vocals. 

20 minutes into it, though, a man starts speaking, and introduces a recording of a shortwave broadcast of a speech by the first lady of Guatemala, thanking Ham Radio operators who assisted the country during the then-recent (1976) earthquake. Then follows that shortwave recording, and then the man comes back and shares that he will be providing some recordings of his recent performance with another guitarist. 

The earlier segment does not appear to be a "live" recording, and at one point, an organist (with one of those beat-box built in drums) joins them. But after the "thank you speech", it seems that we're hearing a club or bar performance. There's no applause, but there is talking in the background. 

I guess what I find peculiar about it is that the sender put the "interesting" short wave broadcast right in the middle of the tape, in between highlights of his performance. That strikes me as a weird choice.

Download: A Guitar Duo with Some Vocals, With a Thank You Speech in the Middle

Play: 

~~

Okay, now I'm going to go back to doing something I did quite a bit in the early days of the blog, and share the various sections of a full tape, a tape which I found quite interesting. It came to me in a batch of tapes that someone very meticulously recorded off of the BBC and documented. And if I could find the box (I digitized this perhaps eight years ago), I would share that documentation. But I did capture the names of the segments and the date in the individual file names.  

I'm just going to line them up in the same order they were on the tape and let you listen to them. 

They are: 

    1.) Stanley Watkins talking about introducing sound to the movies

    2.) Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip's Royal Tour of Ghana

    3.) Robert Reed (surely not that Robert Reed) on the Queen's 10th Anniversary on the Throne

    4.) "Conference"(a weekly program) - Episode: Britain's Defense Policy

    5.) The Aberdonian Train (a narrated train trip from King's Cross to Aberdeen)

Quite a wonderful little five inch reel of tape, if you ask me. Dig in!: 

Download: Stanley Watkins - Sound For the Movies (BBC, 9-27-61)

Play:

Download: The Royal Tour of Ghana (BBC, 11-19-61)

Play:

Download: Robert Reed - Anniversary Portrait (Queen Elizabeth's 10th Anniversary) (BBC, 2-6-62)

Play:

Download: "Conference" - Britain's Defense Policy (BBC, 2-8-62)

Play:

Download: The Aberdonian Train (King's Cross to Aberdeen) (BBC, 1962)

Play:

~~

And let's finish with a "Very Short Reel", shall we? Here's a promotion from WBUZ in Toledo, a prize package featuring a trip to the Napa 500 Auto Race in 1998. Yippee!!

Download: Kendall Energies, Inc - WBUZ, Toledo, Trip to the Napa 500

Play:



No comments:

Post a Comment