Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Your Hit Parade, Local Basketball, The Newest in Stereo Sound and Much More!

 Good Day, Sports Fans (or not, if you're not sports fans, or if it's not a good day), 

Today, I have a supremely varied hodgepodge of recordings for you, selected from my bulging computer folder known as "tapes not yet used", including one which is literally labeled as a "hodgepodge", as well are my monthly acetate feature. 

But first, I wanted to pass along that I received a note from a creator of experimental music named James, who wanted to let me know he'd used some of the vintage radio recordings I've posted in one of his compositions. It's a very interesting track, and it can be found here. He is likely to continue to use my postings, after asking and receiving my okay, and I will continue to link to them. His main page is here

~~~

First up, a recording from 1950, contained on one of those tapes with yet another Scotch tape design which I missed, during my Scotch tape brand feature. This one is a variation of the one I identified as the second Scotch design, here, and also similar to the one I shared a few weeks ago, which I'd also missed the first time around. I still suspect the first one I just linked was the second design, but this one was either concurrent with it, and used with five inch reels, or came right around the same time. Here it is: 


So what's on this tape that makes it worth sharing. Well, it's "Your Hit Parade" from 1950. What we have here are portions of two episodes, both from early July, by the sounds of it. The only reason I'm certain it's not all from the same episode is that the first two songs heard, are heard a second time, later on, and that wouldn't have happened on a single episode of that show. 

The latter episode can easily be nailed down to one of the first two weeks of July, as the song that had VERY quickly hit number one (and I won't spoil the surprise) would have attained that position during that time period. Add the reference to a holiday - almost certainly the Fourth of July - and we have a date for these programs. 

A further note - the tape quality if fairly horrendous in the opening couple of minutes, ruining a version of "The Third Man Theme", which I consider one of the best hits of the pre-rock era, but the sound improves quickly after that, and another rendition of the song follows, later, anyway. 

At the end of the tape are a few remnants of other programming, including the introduction of a Percy Faith song, and what sounds to me like Vaughn Monroe singing is his typically godawful style. 

Play: 

For those of you who like oddities (and very short segments), the flip side of this tape contains about 28 minutes of bland music from records, but then, at the end, there is some shouting, some whistling, some rifle shots (I think), and then someone named Bill tries out parts of a short speech several times. Given that this recording is made on the same damaged section of the tape as "The Third Man Theme" on the flip side, there is a short section here that also has poor sound. Here is that segment: 

Play: 

~~

Now here is a lengthy recording which may be of interest to some of you (the Sports Fans mentioned above). With March Madness just about done for another year, it occurred to me that some might enjoy this tape. It is coverage of a High School basketball contest in Maine - no date is listed, but I'm guessing this is from the 1960's. Someone with more patience (and interest) than me can probably figure it out, based on the players mentioned. 

The radio station was WBLZ, which probably didn't stand for "Blood, Luggage and Zucchini", but I'd like to think that it did. 

The teams are Banger and Caribou, and we have nearly the entire game coverage, minus some commercials and any half-time coverage. A true bit of local sports coverage, of the sort which rarely makes it beyond its live broadcast. 

Play: 

~~

Next up, here's another one of those ubiquitous Stereo Demonstration Tapes, which every producer of reel tapes and reel tape machines seems to have been obliged to produce, in the 1950's and/or 1960's. In this case, it's Bell Stereophonic Sound with a nearly ten minute production about the wonders of Stereo!

Play: 

~~

And now, here is yet another tape from our young man in Japan. Please see my previous posts for more of an explanation of these tapes, and my confusion regarding exactly what he was doing there. This is before he started using music on the right channels of his tapes, and unlike some of the tapes, this one's date is crystal clear - it's June 27th, 1968 (just one week after I turned eight, by the way). 

Play: 

~~~

And here is our acetate of the month. I don't know anything more about this disc than what it says in the file name, and I can't seem to find the record right now to scan the label. 

But it's an endearing little piece, featuring "Gail and Gram", with Gail, perhaps age four or so, telling the story of "Goldie Locks" (as it was spelled on the record). She is VERY dramatic, raising a laugh from Gram at one point. Very sweet. This is followed by three very short, the last two sung by Gram in a foreign language which I cannot make out through the surface noise. But I bet one of you can. 

Odd to think that, if the Gail heard here is still around, she's probably about 85 or 86 years old. 

Play: 

~~~

And now, two tapes which could probably be names as "Very Short Reels". First is the aforementioned "hodgepodge". I love coming across things like this, as their genesis is quite unknowable. While much of this tape is made up of minimal conversation around the house, those segments are surrounded by all sorts of recordings, as if things were recorded and erased at random, sometimes for only 5-15 seconds. I made this file some years ago, but I believe I remember correctly that this is all that was recorded on the tape. Almost an accidental performance of Musique Concrète.

The mention of George Smathers at the very start, identifying him as a Representative and not a Senator (and what sounds like a reference to him having won a senatorial seat, but clearly not in that seat yet), would seem to date at least part of these recordings from no later than 1951. 

I love stuff like this. 

Play: 

~~~

And finally, a tape which may be stretching it, a bit, in terms of being a "very short reel" and even more so, in terms of being worthy of sharing here. But I did digitize it, and it was waiting for me to use it, and I did address all you Sports Fans, so here it is. It is, quite simply, the merest short fragment of a baseball broadcast, all of 76 seconds in length, with more than half of that being essentially light crowd noise between pitches. Enjoy!!!

Play: 

5 comments:

  1. I can help a little with the Baseball game. The game is almost definately between the Cincinatti Reds and the Philadelphia Philles, sometime between 1960 and 1964. Vada Pinson was on the Reds and caught the fly ball, the pitcher was most likely Bob Purkey who was the only knuckleball pitcher on the Red, he was on the team from 1960 to 1964. John Callison was on the Phillies during the same timeframe. Unfortunately I don't recognize the announcer's voice to determine whether it's a Phillies or Reds broadcast, but may a fan of either team of that era will be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He mentioned "Shockley" as the guy who flied out to Pinson. Since Pinson is with Cincinnati, Shockley is therefore with Philadelphia. There's just one such player, Costen Shockley who played one year with Philly in '64. Now we can go to bbref.com where every game is documented. There were three games where Purkey pitched against Philadelphia - May 9, July 19 and October 4. Shockley didn't play May 9, but he did on the latter two dates. On October 4, he appeared at the plate just once and he hit a single - which is not a flyout to Pinson. Thus, I deduce this recording is from July 19, 1964. In fact, the page for this game, https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN196407191.shtml shows that Shockley flied out to CF, i.e., Pinson, in the top of the 4th inning. Two Hall-of-Famers played in this game - Jim Bunning and Frank Robinson, and Pete Rose would have been if he hadn't been caught gambling on baseball.
    And by the way, I would not have been able to narrow this down if you hadn't mentioned Purkey. This was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spartan description of the PBP also reveals that this is telecast audio rather than a radio broadcast. Also, the game was only televised in the Philadelphia market (per the Philiadelphia Inquirer and Cincinnati Enquirer) which means this is like Byrum Saam announcing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bangor-Caribou game is from February 7, 1964. The victory boosted Bangor's record to 10-6 while Caribou dropped to 3-13. This from the Bangor Daily News for February 8, 1964. (Thanks to newspapers.com for having all these available!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a lot of things I'd love to donate. Here is an American woman telling us about her trip to Australia, 1979. https://we.tl/t-xTqDXzT5uV

    ReplyDelete