Saturday, July 31, 2021

"Shut Up and Listen", a Few Country Tunes, the Newest in Cameras and More!

This is an intensely busy moment in my work life, but I really wanted to get a post up this weekend, so I am doing so, but my comments will be uncharacteristically brief. And as an aside, the Acetate of the Month will return in the next post. I'm just out of time....

~~

The big feature here - at least from my viewpoint - is a favorite tape of mine which someone made during the great Chicago snowstorm of January, 1979. 

Here we have just over an hour and a half of a radio talk show/call in show, as heard on WNUR Radio, which was and is the radio station for Northwestern University in Evanston, IL. 

I was 18 when this show aired, and if I'd known there was a show that sounded like this - free form, incredibly loose hosts, silliness and everything else you'll hear here, I would have made a point to tune in as often as possible. There should be more radio - a lot more - like this. I find this endlessly entertaining, almost intoxicatingly so. 

By the way, in the final minutes of this tape, the dreaded tape squeal comes in, at times with a vengeance. Nothing I did - including baking the tape twice, cured this reel of that issue. The last several minutes are rather hard to listen to, as a result.  

Download - "Shut Up and Listen" - WNUR, Evanston, January, 1979

Play:

~~

Next, here's a tape featuring just a few minutes from a Country Music station. There's some dreamy guitar, then an odd Spade Cooley offering. There's some DJ patter, followed by Skeeter Davis with the # 10 hit of the week (nicely dating this to 1961), more DJ, and finally, a country singer named Johnny Mathis (not that other one), with a song I've always enjoyed (although this version was new to me.

Download: Brief Excerpt from a Country Music Station, 1961

Play: 

~~

Next, here's the sort of tape which will ALWAYS resonate with me. It's a few kids, just having fun with the tape recorder. In the first segment, they try to sing a religious song without cracking up, without success, Then there is a lengthy segment in which one of the kids pretends to be a reporter at Grand Central Station, interviewing kids (played by the others who are present) who are going to ride on the trains. After a very young child sings a few songs, we have an NBC news parody, with "Chet Winkley", complete with commercial parody, as well. 

Download: Various Kids - Media Parodies, Songs, Etc., Early 1960's

Play:

~~

And finally, here is our "Very Short Reel" for the week. Here we have the recording of the voice-over for two television ads for new Kodak Instamatic Cameras, complete with recording studio intro and noises. It's amazing what one can do with cameras these days!

Download: Two Kodak Ads

Play:



3 comments:

  1. Good as always Bob! I’ve hadn’t added much to my collection because I’ve been buying 8mm and 16mm cameras and accessories but just letting you know I’m still listening

    ReplyDelete
  2. They’re not Kodak’s (Bolex and Bell & Howell) but still cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “They’re so new You’ll need a new projector for brighter sharper movies” guessing this is about 1966 when the Super-8 format was on the market!

      Delete