Monday, September 30, 2019

Mort Sahl Hosts the Tonight Show! PLUS Some Truly Odd Coca-Cola Ads

Howdy, everyone,

As you will have seen if you read my other blog, this has been a truly hectic and busy month, so I will not be typing nearly as much as I often do, allowing much more to be experienced by the listener without all those comments from me.

But first, I want to continue to the Scotch Tape Box series, and that's where I'll do most of my commenting for today. Two entries ago, I shared the box that seems to have been the one they settled on for most of the 1950's, then last time, I went a bit out of turn and showed the 10 inch reel box that seems to have been their style for quite a while in the '50's and maybe into the '60's.

Below you will find the box I believe came next, and it's a radical change from the "picture of a reel of tape" which had been the focal point, to one degree or another, from each previous design:


I believe this design replaced the iconic black-with-most-of-a-reel design some time in the very late 1950's, and was the going design for a couple of years. I say this both because of the material I've found on such tapes over the years - the likely dates of those recordings, and, most centrally: because I literally never saw one of these until I started collecting tapes in the 1980's. That dovetails nicely with the fact that my family did not have a reel to reel machine that worked well - at all - from about 1960 until the fall of 1963. There would have been no reason to buy tapes during that period.

Now, Scotch is promoting the high quality of the tape, and suggesting via the image, that it is what the studios use - and that was probably fairly accurate. This happens to be a 2400 foot reel, which was twice the length that the first reels of tape had. They had previously expanded to 1800 feet, and now made the tape even thinner and lengthened it again. The box says "Double Length - Double Strength", and while the former was absolutely accurate, the new, thinner tape was not in any way stronger - it was more fragile and more likely to stretch and damage, just as you'd imagine. It got even worse when they thinned the tape again and crammed 3600 feet on the same roll of tape, about a decade later.

~~

Okay, like I said, I'm just going to put up this rare and wonderful tape and let it unspool for your enjoyment, without commenting much at all. Here we have an episode (or I think perhaps parts of multiple episodes - I listened to it months ago) of NBC's "Tonight Show", featuring the guest hosting of Mort Sahl. The main part of the tape is an episode featuring several famous women discussing male/female relationships. I'm fairly certain this comes from the several months between Jack Paar's departure from the show and Johnny Carson's arrival, a period during which NBC had multiple guest hosts for the show. If I had more time, I'm sure I could figure out the date(s) of this recording. This is an amazing 90 minutes of tape.

Download: Mort Sahl and Guests - The Tonight Show (1962)
Play:

~~

And here's a VERY peculiar tape I heard for the first time, just this week. It features nine Coca-Cola radio, each one of them featuring a string of helpful household hints that, aside from a couple, have NOTHING to do with Coca-Cola, interspersed with the then-current jingle. I'd love to know how these were received in 1971, because hearing them today is befuddling. Make sure you remember to rub lighter fluid on the walls of your house!

Download: Nine 1971 Coca-Cola Radio Ads
Play:


~~

Finally, I again pulled out a "very short tape" from the pile of them I have by the tape recorder, and found that it was labeled ""Clock Jingles". However, that seems unrelated to the tape's actual content, which is a series of ads for several businesses - no doubt in the same market - very likely from the same advertising company. The link below lists the apparent names of the companies (and, for the first one, the radio station). I'm very unsure that I have them all right, but again, maybe someone out there can identify the location and correct names for these companies.

There are 16 1/2 jingles/ads heard here in just 135 seconds. I say "1/2" because the ad that starts at 1:04 is incomplete - it plays just as you'll hear, on the tape.

Download: Unknown - WMMM, Kettering’s Bread, Sorrow’s, First Federal & Corwin’s Ford
Play:

6 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if the unknown tape refers to station "WMMN" (not "WMMM"), which is located in Fairmont, West Virginia. Quick Google searches for "Kettering's Butternut bread" and "Sorrow's [Soros?] car wash / dry cleaning" didn't return anything useful, but there is a "Corwin Ford Sales" in Mannington, WV (12 miles from Fairmont). (Apparently there are four "Corwin Ford" dealers in the USA - ID, WV, MO, and WA.) There is a "First Federal Savings and Loan of Greene County" in Mt Morris, PA. Being 28 miles from Fairmont, it would probably be in WMMN's broadcast area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMDb lists the airdate of the TONIGHT SHOW episode as June 14, 1962, so your hunch of it being between Parr's (last show 3/30/62) and Carson's (first show 10/1/62) tenures is correct. Since all the guests that evening were female, this is likely a single episode.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6220666/?ref_=nm_flmg_slf_11

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also confirm the June 14, 1962 show per a newspaper listing with all thee guests mentioned in the intro. Hugh Downs was still announcing the show in the initial months following Paar's departure to ease the transition (he lasted through July or August). The long delay before Johnny taking over was due to the fact that his contract with ABC hosting the daytime game show "Who Do You Trust?" didn't expire until then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the 71 minute mark we get the beginning of the next night's show from June 15, 1962.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: Coca Cola spots. As someone who's worked in advertising and marketing, these ear-catching spots suggest you drink Coke while exploring these household hints. It's the aural equivalent of those Coke/Pepsi lifestyle ads on TV. Also, the unusual content sticks out of the normal clutter of AM radio, circa 1971.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The amazing cultural artifacts unearthed on this blog is a nice addition to the nuggets of wisdom displayed in the comments.

    None of these revelations are earth-shattering secrets by themselves, but they're still new (and very cool) info to yours truly.

    For example, I know Hugh Downs was a crooner and released an LP (or 2) in the late 50s / early 60s, but I had NO idea was was a Tonight Show announcer!

    Stodgy old Hugh Downs, from PBS and 20/20 fame, on the Tonight Show? That means ol' Hugh gets another +10 bonus of "Cool Points" in my book :)

    Thanks for sharing more cool audio artifacts and other cultural revelations, Bob!

    ReplyDelete